[BLOG] Review Roundup: Murdered: Soul Suspect

Got something to say? Want to challenge Sorted Members? This is the place!
Shaderrow
Admin Team

[BLOG] Review Roundup: Murdered: Soul Suspect

Postby Shaderrow » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:54 pm

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Before we kick it off, turn your eyes to the eye blistering glory that is the announcement trailer for Mortal Kombat X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGDiBnU6GAo

Now then...

Murdered: Soul SuspectPreview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNMY6UIHBMg

Polygon 7/10

Murdered: Soul Suspect is awash in tropes, but somehow, that's part of the charm. It's a pulpy detective tale remixed as a classic ghost story, and it works as a sort of playable B-movie. It's linear and mechanically simple, but it flows well and keeps a fast pace, at least as long as I wasn't chasing down demons. Supernatural Salem was a rich, sad, beautiful place to visit, and as it turned out, Ronan was the perfect tour guide.

Joystiq 3.5/5

That said, the mystery at the heart of Murdered really is excellent, and putting the pieces together crime scene by crime scene should satisfy many an armchair sleuth. The hidden ghost stories are well worth finding, and though Ronan is a bit of a dull fish, the people who surround him are worth getting to know, however briefly. With some truly great ideas and some unfortunate choices, Murdered: Soul Suspect and its ghostly hero is neither heaven nor hell, but something in between.

Eurogamer 6/10

And it's that underdog likeability that rescues Soul Suspect from the lower reaches of the score table. It's a Good 6, that delightful strata of games that stumble in the technical aspects, but compensate with personality and charm, somehow all the more enjoyable for their imperfections. I can't pretend that Soul Suspect is a particularly great game, but I do know that it's the sort of game I'll still remember - and remember fondly - in five years' time, which is more than can be said for most of its glossier rivals.

The Escapist 2.5/5

At first glance, Murdered: Soul Suspect feels like it almost had it all - an engaging story, challenging puzzles, tough action and a good amount of side quests to round everything out. But that all quickly becomes as transparent as Salem's undead population when you realize Soul Suspect's attempts to stand apart are lackluster at best. It's not the worst adventure title out there, but it's really, really hard to recommend it to anyone. Soul Suspect isn't the worst adventure game out there, but there are much better titles in the genre to pick from.

Destructoid 4.5/10

I truly wanted to like this game. It combines several of my favorite tropes and ideas into one cohesive whole, and I respect what it was trying to attain. But combining an underdeveloped hide-and-seek operation with a ghost story that seems ripped straight from a casual game isn't the way to hold my attention. It's a half-baked concoction full of lofty ideas that don't quite mesh well together topped with a fedora. And I don't think that's a confection anyone really wants to devour. Save this one for a rental.

CVG 5/10

There's space in this genre to be sure - only LA Noire has come close to presenting an engaging, police-based, modern point-and-click adventure - but any new contenders need to pay far more attention to the actual police work underpinning them. Without doing so the conclusion we'll keep deducing is that crime may not pay, but it sure is tedious to bring to justice.

Marz
Sorted Owner

Re: [BLOG] Review Roundup: Murdered: Soul Suspect

Postby Marz » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:35 pm

Why would you do that? You have literally made the rest of the post irrelevant because MK beats all lol
Jokes aside, that music still gives me the chills
Pity about some of these reviews, it really is one of those I wanted to try. Guess I'll wait to see when it's on special

Patches
Officer

Postby Patches » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:50 pm

That trailer of Mortal Kombat X looks amazing :shock:

Corvinus89

Postby Corvinus89 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:17 am

I want the new Mortal Kombat, im drooling

Mael
Officer