[BLOG] Playing Catchup: Saints Row 4

Got something to say? Want to challenge Sorted Members? This is the place!
Shaderrow
Admin Team

Postby Shaderrow » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:58 pm

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

(Playing Catchup is just basically a review of a game that came out some time ago which I did not get around to playing and writing about when it was still relevant. Basically just a filler until games start to come out again.)

Saints Row is a series that has followed quite a strange path. The first game was just this pitiful attempt to be Grand Theft Auto, though a bit more heavy on the humour. Saints Row 2 is one of this generation with the player character becoming one of the most astoundingly evil characters people have had the misfortune to control. Saints Row 3 while definitely a more solid game overall, lost a lot of the previous game's magic in an attempt to be as wacky as possible. Saints Row 4 is the culmination of this series and one of the best send-offs to a series I've ever played

From getto to swanky apartments to the penthouse suits and now, finally the White House, the Saints have come quite a way since their first appearance. Saints Row 4 starts off with the player character (simply referred to as "The Boss") having been elected as President of the United States, but soon towards the end of their term, the world is invaded by a malicious alien empire called "The Zin"

The Zin then proceed to trap the minds of the most valuable members of human society in a virtual recreation of earth, keeping their bodies imprisoned in the Zin mother ship. As humanity's only remaining source of resistance, you must break out of this simulation gather your crew and take down the Zin Empire and their leader, the deliciously evil Emperor Zinyak.

But thanks to the technical expertise of one of the Saints you quickly shatter any semblance of reality that the virtual simulation of Steelport may have possessed and gain a slew of superpowers to help you in your quest of tearing the simulation down.

I'll come out and say that Saints Row 4 among the best superhero sandbox games I've ever played. That feels quite weird to say as this series never had any inclination of wanting to go this route. The movement in Saints Row 4 is the most fun I've ever had navigating an open world game. The new super powered spring and jump abilities allow you to cover a multitude of miles a quite short time, effectively rendering vehicles and all the troubles associated with them.

Along with the new mobility options there also a host of offensive powers you can use to turn the tide of battle. Powers like "blast" allows you to either set your foes alight, freeze them solid or even turn them to you side via a mind control buff, while other abilities like "Stomp" and Death from Above open up large scale attacks that can decimate entire areas worth of enemies. They really are a fantastic addition to combat as they allow for much more larger and varied combat than the previous games.

But good old fashioned firearms of yore are still present here and the arsenal on offer here is one of the more interesting selections on offer here. Weaponry like the Inflato Ray, Dubstep guns, energy swords and a assault rifle ripped straight out of Aliens ensure good times all round. You'll definitely wan't to invest in upgrading your weapons as most powers come with a substantial cooldown timer, meaning that your guns are still your primary offensive tool.

Saints Row 4 looks uncannily similar to it's predecessor, so much so that it would be easy to write this off as a mere expansion pack. This is not case as Saints Row 4 offers quite a lot of content for it's asking price. Most of the side activities on offer here are brand new and the few that have been brought over from the previous game have been reworked to fit with the superpowered theme. The game can be played entirely in co-op with the second player having an identical suite of powers to the main one and it really does make an already great time all the sweeter.While this does lead to some of the most outrageously I've had playing a game with someone, it all but nullifies the game's challenge.

Saints Row 4 has one unusual problem. For a game that seems so intent on encouraging you to toy around with it's new power mechanics, it seems strangely intent on keeping you from using them for most of the campaign missions. While this is quite frustrating at first it does lend the game some real extra punch in it's climatic moments where you're finally allowed to cut loose, powers and all.

One of  Saints Row 4 best elements is just how inclusive and extensive the game's character customization is. Saints Row allows you to be anyone and doesn't ever judge you for it. Male, female, gay, straight, transsexual, Saints Row just doesn't care. Everyone is welcome and it's something I wish more games would take from the series.

Saints Row 4 really does surprise in the end. A masterful soundtrack and great voice acting lend to rest of the elements of the game immeasurably and result in some moments that had me shaking with laughter. Hundreds of references and call outs to every facet of pop culture are sure to have fans of any genre grinning ear to ear at least a few times during length of the the game. Speaking of which, I played a most of this game in co-op and ended up with 100% completion in just under forty hours.

In the end though, the story and the characters are the heart of this game. Characters I never realized I cared for each went through and entertaining character arch in this game and the resolution the Boss gets in the end is a very satisfying one indeed.

From start to finish Saints Row 4 is a joy play. I was somewhat cynical towards the franchise after 4, but Volition has completely outdone themselves with 4, every expectation I had was matched, beaten and provided me with with a fantastic experience and one which left me somewhat sad at the end, because I desperately didn't want it to stop.Image

Marz
Sorted Owner

Postby Marz » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:12 am

9? Wow. The only thing I need to ask after reading this review is, do you recommend playing the previous ones before this one? Does it affect any story line as such?

Shaderrow
Admin Team

Postby Shaderrow » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Not really, you can go into this utterly blindly and still have a hell of time. The other games don't have that much of an impact and you can piece what happened previously quite easily.,

Hyuu (phear)

Re: [BLOG] Playing Catchup: Saints Row 4

Postby Hyuu (phear) » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:47 pm

Shaderrow wrote:Not really, you can go into this utterly blindly and still have a hell of time. The other games don't have that much of an impact and you can piece what happened previously quite easily.,
Second that. It's a hilarious game IMO. Great for when you just want to blow stuff up and have a laugh.
Sorted - Forums - Mumble details

"If two pregnant women get into a fist fight, it's like a mech battle between two fetuses."